Subject: Re: Booting question
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Emiel Kollof <coolvibe@hackerheaven.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/10/2002 22:03:20
* Henry B. Hotz (hotz@jpl.nasa.gov) wrote:
> >Why isn't the NetBSD macppc iso bootable by just holding 'c' on the
> >keyboard? Why doesn't NetBSD-macppc use a OpenFirmware Boot
> >partition like the linuxen do? I still think it would be seriously
> >cool if one could make the NetBSD boot process just as
> >straightforward as the linux one. Linux uses yaboot for newword
> >machines, could we too?
> >
> >Just a question, or maybe a feature request.
>
> I thought one of the issues from that discussion was whether the
> linux approach would support the "old world" machines that NetBSD
> supports.  That still doesn't mean we couldn't make a CD that would
> support multiple boot procedures.  Are you volunteering to make it
> happen?  ;-)

Well, for oldworld machines, Linux uses BootX. I don't know if the
booting of either Linux or NetBSD kernels is interchangeable. If that
were the case it would be quite simple to do.

Someone else mentioned that yaboot disabled quiesce. Do we really need
quiesce? If yes, what for? Can't we get at openfirmware through other
means?

And no, I'm not volunteering. I don't have the time really. I would if I
could though.

Cheers,
Emiel
--
"I don't know anything about music.  In my line you don't have to."
		-- Elvis Presley