Subject: Re: Dual Proc
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Lorenz <ml@rz.uni-potsdam.de>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/09/2002 14:57:01
Hi there,

>> Does this mean SMP is fully functional on macppc?
>> If not, to what degree is it functional?
>
> There was an announcement posted to the port-macppc list... you might
> get more details if you ask there. What do you mean by "fully
> functional"? It boots multi-user and processes run on both processors.
The announcement was about a dual G4 box AFAIR, I have a dual 604e UMAX Pulsar, as soon as I get around that damned OF 1.0.5 I'll give it a try. ( tried Linux, 2.4 won't boot, 2.2 runs SMP but
not really fast... BeOS has had no real challenge so far )

> But as far as I know, only one processor can be running kernel code at a
> time (that's not a macppc-specific limitation though; it's that way on
> all NetBSD ports).
Is that really a problem ? In Linux 2.2 the first processor seems to handle all interrupts, no idea about BeOS but that seems to balance the load really damn well.

have fun
Michael ( who subscribed yesterday after reading about NetBSD/ppc going SMP )