Subject: Re: OpenFirmware shadyness... does this make ANY sense?
To: Chad Milios <chad@b9media.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/08/2002 15:20:04
At 10:52 AM -0400 8/8/02, Chad Milios wrote:
>"boot-command" from the default value of "mac-boot" to "boot".
>however, when auto-boot? is true the mac just sits there with a
>white screen. when auto-boot? is false the machine powers on the
>open firmware prompt and i type "boot" and it boots just fine. if
>the boot-command is "boot" shouldnt auto-boot? = true yeild
>identical results as going to the ofw prompt and typing "boot". that
>would make sense but it doesnt seem to work for me. i have tried it
>with the boot command being "boot", "mac-boot", "boot
>hd:,\ofwboot.xcf" and none work, but just typing "boot" at the ofw
>prompt always boots fine, WHAT GIVES?

If you don't get much response to this query it would be because
we're just as perplexed as you are.

My experience with OF 1.0.5 is that if you set auto-boot? false then
the keyboard was not initialized properly and you couldn't use '-a'
as an argument to ofwboot.xcf.  I can speculate that there is some
similar kind of lack of initialization somewhere causing your problem.

Hmmm.

Re-reading your post I'm not sure if you finally installed on a Apple
partitioned drive or if you let sysinst repartition the drive.  The
latter is the "partition 0" method that isn't supposed to work on an
OF3 machine.  The former probably requires some extra installation
steps like building devices that you don't mention.  In any case if
your setup works with just a "boot" command then you must have done
something right.