Subject: OpenFirmware shadyness... does this make ANY sense?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Chad Milios <chad@b9media.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 08/08/2002 10:52:06
BACKGROUND:
ok, i got a blue, 400mhz, slot loading CD-ROM iMac with firewire ports.
i am installing release 1.5.3. to refresh your memory, this is an
openfirmware 3 machine, which the docs and my trying have said will not
boot using the "partition 0" bootloader and MUST load ofwboot.xcf using
openfirmware to boot. going through the normal installation procedure
will yeild a flashing system folder icon when you reboot after the
installation procedure says, "you can now reboot your mac in netbsd". in
this form, as i understand, there is no longer anything on the hard
drive that openfirmware 3 can boot into. you would need to load the
bootloader off of a cd or netboot server or something, right?

well anyways, the docs gave me some instructions to get netbsd installed
on a disk shared with HFS or HFS+, for either sharing the disk with
MacOS, or for the purposes of having a small HFS partition to put the
ofwboot.xcf bootloader on which the docs indicate is the only way to
make a OFW3 machine boot unassisted by a cd or server (short of another
hard drive) nothing i tried in the docs worked to do this. things the
docs said would work just simply didnt. (the docs say partition and
format the disk using drive setup, making a HFS parition along with a
AUX root, AUX swap, AUX user, and AUX free. i do this an the installer
refuses to install into the disk unless i let the installer reformat it
the way it wants to, which of course destroys the HFS partition. i tried
about a hundred slight variations and used both os 9's drive setup and
os x's disk utility) well anyways i fudged with it for a while and got
it installed onto the disk. if anyone is having the same trouble
installing onto a disk they want to share with HFS, for either reason,
drop me a line and i'll give you my detailed instructions. i hope i hear
from someone because i was beginning to think i was crazy when it
wouldnt install sets when the docs said it should.

MY QUESTION:
anyways, i got it all installed now, netbsd using all but 8 megs of the
disk, and a 8 mb HFS partition with ofwboot.xcf on it. HOWEVER,
openfirmware is now just drving me insane. basically i have been trying
everything i can think of to get the machine to boot unattended but for
the life of me i cannot. after installation, using clean default OF
settings, i boot using:

boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf

just fine. the ofwboot bootloader comes up, finds the root partition
right away with ease and loads up my kernel, netbsd, and boots. so now i
changed the boot-device OFW variable to "hd:,\ofwboot.xcf" so now i can
boot the same by typing just:

boot

at the OFW prompt. this now works fine since i used "setenv boot-device
hd:,\ofwboot.xcf" and "reset-all" previously. i then changed the
variable called "boot-command" from the default value of "mac-boot" to
"boot". however, when auto-boot? is true the mac just sits there with a
white screen. when auto-boot? is false the machine powers on the open
firmware prompt and i type "boot" and it boots just fine. if the
boot-command is "boot" shouldnt auto-boot? = true yeild identical
results as going to the ofw prompt and typing "boot". that would make
sense but it doesnt seem to work for me. i have tried it with the boot
command being "boot", "mac-boot", "boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf" and none work,
but just typing "boot" at the ofw prompt always boots fine, WHAT GIVES?

any insight would but MUCH appreciated!