Subject: Re: 3ware escalade on macppc
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/31/2002 12:15:43
Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us> writes:

> I then had to mknod all the devices for ld0 in /dev, as the MAKEDEV for
> macppc doesn't include them.  So, I used values out of MAKEDEV from
> the i386 port. (blk=19, chr=69)

This part isn't right; device numbers (somewhat awkwardly) vary by
port. You can find the right values when they aren't in MAKEDEV by
looking in sys/arch/PLATFORM/PLATFORM/conf.c. In the case of macppc
and the ld driver, you want 13 for the block device and 59 for the
character device.

> disklabel: /dev/rld1c: Device not configured

"Device not configured" is the kernel's way of saying "Hey, I don't
think there's a device with that major/minor number". When that
happens but you have the devices showing up in dmesg, device number
mismatch is something to suspect.

> Also, if I *do* succeed in accessing this disk, I'd very much like
> to be able to access the data on it without reformatting... is this
> possible?  (The drive was written under netbsd-1.6_BETA4/i386)

It should be possible but may take a little fiddling. You'll probably
need to work with the mbrlabel program, and make sure you have the
FFS_EI option enabled in your kernel, since macppc and i386 are
opposite endianness.

        - Nathan