Subject: Re: MacOS help
To: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/30/2002 22:02:01
At 17:18 Uhr -0400 29.7.2002, John Klos wrote:
>> My 8600 crashed two days ago and the
>> boot hfs filesystem can not be repaired by disk first aid. Does anyone
>> know how to recreate an HFS file system without trashing the
>> partitioning? I have Linux installed on the disk also so I would rather
>> not have to reinstall it as well. I am running MacOS 8.6. None of the
>> Drive Setups seem able to 'just recreate the filesystem' without wanting
>> to rewrite the partition.

'recreate the filesystem' is performed by 'Special:Erase Volume...' (or
similar, I am running a German System) in the Finder.

If you can backup the volume content and initialize the volume, that would
be the quickest and safest way out.

>Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do with just the Apple tools. WHat
>you need is a copy of Norton Disk Doctor; if you boot off a CD and mount
>an AppleShare volume with Norton Disk Doctor, chances are it will fix the
>HFS partition.

Ick. Norton > 2.0 has a long list of 'issues'; the cure from this 'Doctor'
is worse than the disease all too often. Alsofts 'DiskWarrior' has a much
better reputation around here (and has helped me out a few times).

	hauke

--
/~\  The ASCII Ribbon Campaign       "They that can give up essential liberty
\ /    No HTML/RTF in email          to obtain a little temporary safety