Subject: Re: db> message after some hours (using Serial Console only)
To: Inseo Park <bubux@krpost.net>
From: Inseo Park <bubux@krpost.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/27/2002 16:25:00
I found the reason.

Power-off on PC was the problem.

So, I got rid of my serial cable on pc,
and changed /etc/ttys,
and patched nvRAM.

My laziness:  I found similar situation at
(http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/sparc/faq.html)
Whenever I unplug the serial console, my machine reboots! (top)
A continuous stream of zeros is equivalent to a "BREAK" command
which will enter the prom.
This might happen, since the serial lines are floating when you unplug
your cable. If you build a special switchbox that uses a pullup
resistor, then you can avoid this problem.
Put a 4.7 KOhm resistor between pins 3 and 25.

I'll use only tcp/ip VT.

But, I hope using serial console for secure tty also. :-)
If I knew anything about serial port driver,
I would have fixed this. I have to study more and more.

When I met NetBSD 2 months ago, patching nvram made
my crt show check flag at edge(F1 racing check flag style).
It's why I didn't patch nvRAM.
Today I first met spots, but after 2 hours, making mac auto-boot,
Spots had gone. weird things always happen. :-)

+--- my changes.
(1) /etc/ttys

console "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on secure
#ttyE0  "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
tty00   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   on secure
tty01   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"  vt100   off secure

(2) nvRAM patch (Guru method described at FAQ).
(3) set input-device kbd; \ set output-device /chaos/control.

Thanks for your all help.

Bill worte:

2) If you unplug the serial cable regularly (like when it's not in use),
you probalby want to do a little wiring surgery. Get a resistor, like
47k
Ohms, and wire it between the receive data input and the DTR pin. When
the
other computer is sending data, this resistor will do nothing (at worst
it
will draw half a milliamp of current). But when the other computer is
not
there, the resistor will keep the receve data pin at the voltage level
for
a '1' bit. Then you won't see a spurrious BREAK sequence.