Subject: Re: db> message after some hours (using Serial Console only)
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/26/2002 10:14:02
On Fri, 26 Jul 2002, Kamal Prasad wrote:

> --- Inseo Park <bubux@krpost.net> wrote:
> > I tired NetBSD 1.6 BETA4 on my PowerMac 7300/180.
> >
> > but after some hours, (disconnected all terminal)
> > when I tried to connect NetBSD via serial console
> > I get db> prompt and I must type continue to run.
> >
> > What is db> ? is that kernel debug mode?
> > is that a message of "sleeping mode?"
> >
> db is the kernel debugger. Im not sure why you should
> enter the kernel debugger without panic'ing.

Uhm, because it's a serial console and the serial driver saw a BREAK
sequence go by, which is what you do to go into ddb.

Oh, tecnically db> is the prompt for ddb, the in-kernel debugger.

> pl. try to connect the console and paste all messages
> during bootup.
> if its panic'ing because there is no console connected
> -thats strange (if not funny).
>
> > I want NetBSD to run as a server (DB, WEB, Samba).
> > and with db> message all server are went down.

Yes, the kernel has stopped what it's doing and is sitting waiting for
you.

> > How can I run NetBSD without any ttys/console
> > connected?
> > Because, sometimes PC connected with serial line
> > must be shut down, with other workstation running.

Two things come to mind:

1) Some terminal programs (though not NetBSD) send a BREAK when they exit,
so the software on the other computer might be a problem. Also, there
might be transients on reboot of the other machine.

2) If you unplug the serial cable regularly (like when it's not in use),
you probalby want to do a little wiring surgery. Get a resistor, like 47k
Ohms, and wire it between the receive data input and the DTR pin. When the
other computer is sending data, this resistor will do nothing (at worst it
will draw half a milliamp of current). But when the other computer is not
there, the resistor will keep the receve data pin at the voltage level for
a '1' bit. Then you won't see a spurrious BREAK sequence.

Take care,

Bill