Subject: netboot problems
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Matt Spong <spong@freedom.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/22/2002 22:46:36
--liOOAslEiF7prFVr

Hi

I'm trying to get NetBSD to netboot from a Linux server, and I've
followed the HOWTO on netbsd.org.  I've got everything set up according
to the directions, and everything on the server is (as far as I can
tell) working fine.  It doesn't seem to be working though... it loads
ofwboot.xcf fine, mounts the root share from NFS, loads the kernel over
TFTP, and then hangs.

Here is the output from the boot process:

>> NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
>> (matt@duel.local, Sat Aug 18 13:46:09 PDT 2001)
file: 192.168.0.1,ofwboot.xcfUsing IP address: 192.168.0.222
root addr=3D192.168.0.1 path=3D/export/client/root
2931820+237444 [100+106512\

=2E.. and then it hangs.  All the lights on my hub blink a few times at
this point, like it's broadcasting for something, but the logs on the
Linux server show nothing.

The client is a Powerbook G3 Wallstreet, running OpenFirmware 2.0.1.
The logs on the Linux server show that the BOOTP request was served up
fine (served by dhcpd), the NFS share was mounted fine, and the kernel
was downloaded from the TFTP server.

Does anybody have any idea what's going wrong?  Or at the least, does
anybody know what the client is trying to do at the point when it hangs?

Please CC any replies to me - I'm not on this mailing list.

thank you for your time
Matt Spong

--=20
Matt Spong <spong@freedom.org>