Subject: Re: dual boot for beige powermac G3
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/21/2002 21:56:46
On Fri, Jul 19, 2002 at 01:16:32PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> I have a beige G3, and there is not a dual boot loader that I've found.
> And I don't think we'll find one. Mainly as MacOS X and NetBSD have
> different OFW boot requirements. MacOS X wants real-base set to -1
> (ffffffff) while NetBSD wants it set to f00000.

I haven't actually run into this.  I don't auto-boot my g4 tower, but I
enter "boot hd:9,\ofwboot.xcf hd:13/netbsd" or "mac-boot", depending on
where I want to go.  I don't muck with the real-base, but this is OFW 3.

I've often thought that it would be nice to have a good boot selector,
though.  Or even a basic one like the basic one that we have for x86.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...