Subject: Re: network problems... any suggestions?
To: smokingbowl <smokingbowl@msn.com>
From: None <ww+netbsd@styx.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/20/2002 18:31:01
On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 03:33:30PM -0600, smokingbowl wrote:
> Well... I've got netbsd 1.5.2 installed on 3 identical powermac 7300s.
> but im having one small problem... no network. The built on Ethernet
> port wont do anything with my switch. I'm thinking its the presence of
> the other networking port (I don't know much about Mac hardware,
> AppleTalk?) that's causing the problem. Any ideas why the Ethernet
> port is dead on all three? Is that something I need to take care of in
> open firmware? I have several other computers on the switch, and know
> its not the cables. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

What does the output of 'ifconfig mc0' say? (It is an mc0 on
the 7300, no?) Does it appear to be up and configured correctly?
Do you see any complaints from the kernel about collision errors
or lost carriers ('dmesg | grep mc0')? Or is the problem that the
interface is not detected by the kernel at all?

If everything looks correct from the point of view of the
powermacs, it could be that the switch is not properly negotiating
the media type. There are interoperability issues with some
10/100 switches and some ethernet cards. What kind of switch is
it? If possible, try manually setting 10Mb Full or Half Duplex
in the switch config.

-w