Subject: Re(2): 667mhz->800mhz openfireware hack
To: , <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh@mipsys.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/16/2002 23:29:29
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002, Mark Grimes <mark@openbsd.org> wrote:

>Yes, the difference between 667mhz and 800mhz is VAST -- so much so that
after
>I issued the hack and tested compiles it was obvious the machine was running
>at a faster speed.  Noticed by time and heat (heh).

I had some users trying your hack on the same machine, and the result with
the linux kernel is a reported clock of 800Mhz, but the timing loops for
calculating bogomips gives a 667Mhz result. So that match what I've seen
of the Open Firmware code: OF can't change the clock, it has to be done
by the operating system.

Now we have to figure out how to do it. Probably via that PMU command I
wrote about along with some other tricks, nothing I've found out so far
though.

Ben.