Subject: Re: Network Freezing
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Brian Watson <majuki@attbi.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/14/2002 19:47:26
On 7/14/02 3:41 PM, "Christos Zoulas" <christos@zoulas.com> wrote:

> Brian Watson <majuki@attbi.com> wrote:
>> I recently installed NetBSD on my 6500/300.  I'm running screen on it with
>> an irc client and some other things.  I've noticed that the machine's
>> network connection dies, and I'm unable to ping the computer (after my ssh
>> session times out).  On the computer itself, I try to ping out and I'll get:
>
> looks like something is eating mbufs in the kernel. What network card
> are you using? what is the output of netstat -m?
>
> christos
>>
>> ping: sendto: No buffer space available
>>
>> I went ahead and changed
>>
>> net.inet.tcp.sendspace = 32768
>> net.inet.tcp.recvspace = 32768
>>
>> From the 16K defaults in sysctl.  Are there any pointers as to how to fix
>> this problem?  TIA.

[majuki@6500 - 7:39pm]: netstat -m
49 mbufs in use:
        33 mbufs allocated to data
        16 mbufs allocated to packet headers
39/84 mapped pages in use
212 Kbytes allocated to network (42% in use)
0 requests for memory denied
0 requests for memory delayed
0 calls to protocol drain routines

I am using a 10bt card from Apple that fits in the Comm II Slot.  I think
the card itself may be failing, because it's rather old.  I have a spare
Adaptec Quartet (ANA-60244), which is on the support hardware list.  I think
I'm going to try that to see if there are less problems.  This seems to be a
networking issue.  The network connection drops dead until I reboot the
machine.  Is this a sign of bad hardware?  I think one way to check is to
use the quartet (if I can get it working).  If that solves the problem, it
would lead me to believe that the 10bt card is failing.  Is there anyway to
check the condition of the card?

--Brian

--
Brian Watson (majuki@attbi.com)