Subject: Re: powermac 5500/225 installation woes
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/11/2002 23:17:42
On Thu, Jul 11, 2002 at 02:45:04PM -0700, Bill Studenmund wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to boot from it. I made an image with
> > and without the -l option to mkisofs, as the install notes mention
> >
> >        Open Firmware 1.0.5 and 2.0.x machines will not boot from
> >        the ISO 9660 file system if you create a hybrid HFS/ISO
> >        format CD-R. Make sure that it the CD only has ISO 9660 data
> >        and does not have an Apple Partition Map.
> >
> > and the Power Macintosh 5500/225 has Open Firmware 2.0.3. AFAICT
> >
> >   mkisofs -o output.iso -b i386/installation/floppy/boot-big.fs \
> >            -c boot.catalog -l -J -r -L /cdsources
> >
> > as per http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/bootcd.html won't know about an
> > Apple partition map so should be fine? (By the way that page mentions
> > ofwboot.elf, and I saw somewhere else that ofwboot.elf is obsolete as
> > ofwboot.xcf deals with everything ?)
>
> ofwboot.xcf is all you need. I assume you got the cd to work from your
> other notes.

Right, so maybe bootcd.html needs fixing.. and no, I didn't manage to boot
from the cd :-( I ended up booting from floppy and installing from cd.

> > devalias scsi = /bandit/ohare/mesh
> > dev scsi ls
> > /sd@0,0      /st@0,0       (what is st? the hard drive is on ata AFAICT)
>
> st is the same thing st is on NetBSD: tape. :-)

I wonder were it is hiding :-) (Picks up power mac - shakes it..)

> > so I would guess that
> >
> > boot scsi/sd@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF MACPPC/BINARY/KERNEL/NETBSD_I.GZ
> >
> > should do the trick? It just gives me DEFAULT CATCH!
> >
> > dev scsi/sd@0:0 words includes open
> > boot fd:0 works
> > 0 > dir scsi/sd@0,\ DIR method failed
> >  ok
> > STACK UNDERFLOW!

Does that boot scsi line above look right?

Now it is all happy except for the Kingston KNE40BT (digital 21041-PB based)
ethernet card which keeps giving "tlp0: receive ring overrun". I tried the
patch in kern/10764 but it didn't change anything. (Also tried mediaopts
full-duplex just in case)

Cheers,

Patrick