Subject: Re: Apple Xserve support
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/10/2002 16:56:18
--R+My9LyyhiUvIEro

On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 12:19:30PM -0700, Kevin Diggs wrote:
>     Keep in mind that there is a low-bandwidth extension for X11 called L=
BX.
> If supported by the Xserver it should show up in the extensions in the ou=
tput
> of xdpyinfo. I do not know how to use it. Nor do I know how well it works.
> Might need to hack clients to use it (might already be done).

Neat. Never knew that was there.

>     Also to avoid confusion with MacOS X, when referring to X Window Syst=
em
> could we always use X11?

But the X Window System was there first, why should its shorthand
names have to change on Apple's behalf? ;^>

Seriously, I said X because I didn't mean X11(R6), which would imply
the X Consortium's code; I meant anything that talks the X protocols,
including XFree86, hardware X terminals, things like MacX (yes, it
exists, from Apple, no it hasn't anything to do with Mac OS X),
Attachemate KEA! X, etcetera.

How 'bout X(7)? (Yes, it's in that section of the manual on SysV
too.)

--=20
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net