Subject: Re: problem booting 7300 powermac: drive won't spin up
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: None <alias@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 07/02/2002 09:59:08
"Henry B. Hotz" <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov> writes:

> At 7:31 PM -0700 6/30/02, Russell McManus wrote:
> >The problem is that when I boot the machine, the disk drive doesn't
> >spin up, and I can't boot from the disk.  Instead if I boot from the
> >cd drive using the install cd image, then get to a shell and type
> >'reboot', when the machine reboots the hard drive is still spinning,
> >and I can boot into NetBSD on the hard drive.  Twisted.
>
> Check the FAQ.

Thanks for the pointer, I should have looked there first.  I will try
the wBoot command suggested there.

But I am doubtful that this wBoot OF command will help, because I
don't think that OF is spinning up the drive at all; it's only the
scsi bus probe during the NetBSD boot sequence that seems to
accomplish this.

In a private email, someone else suggested that the drive may have a
jumper to get the drive to auto spin-up.  I am investigating this as
well.

-russ