Subject: problem booting 7300 powermac: drive won't spin up
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Russell McManus <russell_mcmanus@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/30/2002 19:31:56
I've gotten some good help from this list on how to boot my newly
installed powermac 7300 running NetBSD 1.5.2.  Thanks.

With that advice, I have identified a problem.  I have a sloppy
workaround, but I wonder whether there is some way to solve it.

The problem is that when I boot the machine, the disk drive doesn't
spin up, and I can't boot from the disk.  Instead if I boot from the
cd drive using the install cd image, then get to a shell and type
'reboot', when the machine reboots the hard drive is still spinning,
and I can boot into NetBSD on the hard drive.  Twisted.

The command I am using to boot into NetBSD on the hard drive is:
boot scsi-int/sd@0:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD

The command I am using to boot into sysinst from the CD is:
boot scsi-int/sd@3:0,OFWBOOT.XCF NETBSD.MACPPC

Any ideas on how to get the drive to spin up directly?

-russ