Subject: Re: Booting a 4400 and 800x600 monitors
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2002 14:35:27
> Heya Marco  ;)

Hi Martijnb.

> Marco van de Voort wrote:
>
> > - The comslot ethernet is detected but doesn' work,
> >    a RTL 8029 in a PCI slot works fine.

> What do you mean by detected? "blah blah not configured" ?

de0 at pci0 dev 15 function 0
de0: interrupting at irq 25
de0: 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 2.1
de0: address 00:a0:40:7e:f8:90

Sometimes it says "switching to AUI" somewhere lateron. But it is an UTP
only card :_)

I also have the feeling the mac address is wrong. (different from MacOS),
but can't check this atm. (Daniel must bring his MacOS CD)

It is cool to finally have a machine with more than 16 or 20 IRQs btw :-)

> > - I can't see any detection of an audio device.
>
> Are you using the GENERIC kernel? It might not have been enabled. The
> awacs driver isn't very useful, anyway. It doesn't work on all platforms.

I've found it:

awacs0 at obio0 offset 0x14000: irq 17,8,9
audio0 at awacs0: full duplex

Do you think it'll allow to play MP3s, using e.g. a randomly choosing mp3
player, like "mp3blaster" ?

> > - X starts up, but the mouse doesn't work, and neither does
> > 	ctrl-alt-backspace.
>
> ctrl-alt-backspace probably never will work. I for one never got to work
> on my machine. Regarding the mouse: Is it reported by the kernel? it should
> dump out some status info while probing the adb bus. "ams0 at adb0 addr 3:
> 1-button, 100dpi mouse. Furthermore, wsmouse0 should connect to it
> (wsmouse at ams0 mux 0).

Yes, I even have two sets of kb and mice:

adb0 at obio0 offset 0x16000 irq 18: 4 targets
aed0 at adb0 addr 0: ADB Event device
akbd0 at adb0 addr 2: extended keyboard
wskbd0 at akbd0: console keyboard
ams0 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
wsmouse0 at ams0
akbd1 at adb0 addr 2: extended keyboard (ISO layout)
wskbd at akbd1 not configured
ams1 at adb0 addr 3: 1-button, 100 dpi mouse
wsmouse at ams1 not configured

But this can be correct, I can vaguely remember having read somewhere that
Tanzania supports PS/2, but that the 4400 doesn't use this, while some
clone machines using Tanzania boards do.

> > - The memory footprints of apps seem to be quite large, compare to i386.
>
> Seems to be a feature of the platform.

I ordered an extra 64MB. It was on Ebay for Eur 55.

Expensive, but I don't have much hope to get it cheaper somewhere else.

> > - I turned autoboot on again (to allow the machine to come up again after a
> > crash/remote reboot). However I don't have MacOS anymore (can't be on the
> > same disc on pre 3 OF). Is there a bootvariables prog for NetBSD?
>
> Not that I'm aware off; but you can get into OF without the help of MacOS.
> Press OPTION, COMMAND, O and F at boot time. Might take a few time before
> it works, though. Alternatively, you might try 'halt' instead of poweroff.
> It should return to open firmware, although OF will be seriously hobbled
> by then. Then again, it should still be able to modify the auto-boot? variable

I already tried that the OCOF thing, but failed. I'll try again (only tried
twice)

I already tested the halting when I saw the msg of Mr Fujiwara, it seems to
work. But that only works while your NetBSD system is intact. If it hangs
while booting (e.g.hangs with a new kernel), it'd be nice to be able to
boot from CDROM/disc :-)

I'll try to configure a kernel tonight, on my job.
I quickly peeked at the config file, and it is quite a bit longer than the
IIci one :-)

I'm a bit puzzled about all those phy devices. Don't know what they are
(mii bus, Micro Channel?)

> > I'm supping now, and hope to compile a new kernel tonight, to fix some
> > of these issues
>
> NetBSD-current fixed a lot of issues on my beige G3. But some of your problems
> (Like the audio device) won't be any different.

Audio is a fun extra. You know the main reason, why I'm interested in
building a farm with different procesors :-)

> > The only way to fix this IMHO is to make model (or family) specific
> > summaries per model. to create a more chronological treatise of the
> > procedure.
>
> Martijn (Makes mental notice to finally hand over that stupid VGA adapter
> to you)

I'll be there monday I think.