Subject: Re: Booting a 4400 and 800x600 monitors
To: None <michael@nosflow.com>
From: Marco van de Voort <marcov@dragon.stack.nl>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/22/2002 02:33:55

[[big snip]

> :)- I turned autoboot on again (to allow the machine to come up again after a
> :)crash/remote reboot). However I don't have MacOS anymore (can't be on the
> :)same disc on pre 3 OF). Is there a bootvariables prog for NetBSD?
>
> No, but you can do all of that from the Open Firmware prompt, see the FAQ.

Euuh, yes, and for Open Firmware 2, it says I can reach it via MacOS, which
I don't have anymore.

> :)To give you an idea: I spent 2 full evenings to get it to work. And I
> :)already tried to read in at work before.
>
> OK, that sounds about right (unfortunately).
>
> :)The only way to fix this IMHO is to make model (or family) specific
> :)summaries per model. to create a more chronological treatise of the
> :)procedure.
>
> Yeah, this has been discussed off-and-on, but the problem is having to
> maintain multiple copies of information.

Indeed, but sometimes that is worth the effort.
I know, we have 1500+ manual pages, but still we have to answer those faqs.
No documentation will ever fix that ;-)

Problem is that (contrary to mac68k port), there don't seem to be private
pages that summarize model specific info. So even those few (like me) that
actually read docs, but get confused, _have_ to enter the maillists, and ask
questions.