Subject: alternate installation scheme
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/18/2002 08:17:44
	here's an alternate installation scheme for macppc, which uses
	MBR partition (like i386).  i would like to know if this is something
	we want to pursue, and if this configuration is supported by various
	platforms.  it should work for most of the platforms, as openbsd
	installation note even suggests this:

>For stand-alone (No MacOS installed) or dedicated disks, the MBR
>installation method should be chosen and no additional prep is necessary.

itojun

- write /usr/mdec/mbr into the disk's boot sector.
	# dd if=/dev/mdec/mbr of=/dev/rwd0d bs=512
	or
	# fdisk -i -c /usr/mdec/mbr /dev/wd0 (haven't tried it yet)
- make the following two fdisk partitions.  mark DOS partition bootable.
	# fdisk -u /dev/wd0
	MS-DOS (FDISK type 06), 1 or 2 MBytes
	NetBSD (FDISK type A9), the rest
- disklabel it
	# disklabel -i wd0
- format MS-DOS partition
	# newfs_msdos /dev/rwd0?
- copy openbsd ofwboot to the msdos partition (somehow netbsd ofwboot does not
  work, i will investigate it today)
	# mount_msdos /dev/wd0? /mnt
	# cp ofwboot /mnt
	# umount /mnt
- boot like below.
	> boot hd:,ofwboot /netbsd
- you can also use following for auto-booting