Subject: Re: My C600 woon't boot
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: key <palm550@netscape.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/15/2002 11:45:49
--------------020306090508040006080600

Izumi Tsutsui wrote:

> [...]
>
>On my Apus2000 (with OF2.0), 1.5.2 ISO CD-ROM works:
>---
>Open Firmware, 2.0
>To continue booting the MacOS type:
>BYE<return>
>To continue booting from the default boot device type:
>BOOT<return>
> ok
>0 > boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 netbsd.macppc
>

>>>NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
>>>(matt@duel.local, Sat Aug 18 13:46:09 PDT 2001)
>>>

>no active package3716500+153080=0x3b0e2c
> start=0x800000
>Copyright (c) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
>    The NetBSD Foundation, Inc.  All rights reserved.
>Copyright (c) 1982, 1986, 1989, 1991, 1993
>    The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved.
>
>NetBSD 1.5.2 (INSTALL) #10: Sat Aug 18 14:35:27 PDT 2001
>    matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/INSTALL
>CPU: 603ev (Revision 201)
>total memory = 65536 KB
>avail memory = 55176 KB
>using 844 buffers containing 3376 KB of memory
>no active packagemainbus0 (root)
>cpu0 at mainbus0: ohare L2 cache enabled
>bandit0 at mainbus0
>  :
>mesh0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: 50MHz, SCSI ID 7
>scsibus0 at mesh0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
>  :
>scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
>sd0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: <IBM, DPES-31080, S31Q> SCSI2 0/direct fixed
>sd0: 1034 MB, 4903 cyl, 4 head, 108 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2118144 sectors
>cd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: <MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-506, 8S05> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
>md0: internal 2048K image area
>boot device: cd0
>root on md0a dumps on md0b
>WARNING: clock gained 300 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
>root file system type: ffs
>---
>

>>Bus SCSI 0        N0 = 4 : HD QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3S
>>

>According to the description of the "Low End Mac" pages,
>
>http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/4400.shtml
>

>>Macs with IDE hard drive do not provide SCSI termination power,
>>depending on external SCSI devices to provide it.
>>

>http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/termination.shtml
>

>>This is an important issue, because if you are using an external
>>drive that provides SCSI termination power on a Mac that doesn't
>>provide it, your Mac will hang if you turn off the hard drive
>>before turning off the computer. Also, the system may not boot
>>from the external drive if it is not powered before turning
>>on the Macintosh.
>>The source of the problem is a corrupted SCSI bus. Without
>>termination power, noise on the bus can prevent startup and
>>cause a lockup.
>>

>So I guess you have to check termination power setting
>of the internal CD-ROM drive and external drivers on
>the mesh scsi bus.
>
>The page also says "However, Umax assures me this is not the case
>with their Umax SuperMac C500 and C600." but I doubt it...

Thanks for info.

I have a scanner plugged on the scsi port. But i don't switch on. I'll
try with the scanner unplugged.
Have U got the message SCSI RESETING? How long did it take to scan SCSI Bus?

Cheers.

--------------020306090508040006080600

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:<br>
  <pre wrap="">In article <a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" href="mailto:3D0A9B30.9090805@netscape.net">&lt;3D0A9B30.9090805@netscape.net&gt;</a>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:palm550@netscape.net">palm550@netscape.net</a> wrote:

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I can open the OF I can type all words except show-children after a dev
scsi-int.
I have a message SCSI Reseting. Nothing else except a freeze.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!----> :
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">I reboot re-type dev scsi; show-children after to find out the devices.
Always the same message. even if i go through these informations and
continue blindly w/ a boot scsi-int/sd@1:0 netbsd.macppc . I try also
boot scsi-int/sd@0:1.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!----> :
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Bus SCSI 0        N0 = 3 : CD-ROM MATSHITA    CR-506
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
If your CD-ROM driver is connected at ID 3, you have to type
"boot scsi-int/sd@3:0" to boot. The first "3" means SCSI ID and
the following "0" means the default partition.

On my Apus2000 (with OF2.0), 1.5.2 ISO CD-ROM works:
---
Open Firmware, 2.0
To continue booting the MacOS type:
BYE&lt;return&gt;
To continue booting from the default boot device type:
BOOT&lt;return&gt;
 ok
0 &gt; boot scsi-int/sd@3:0 netbsd.macppc
  </pre>
      <pre wrap="">NetBSD/macppc OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.2
(<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:matt@duel.local">matt@duel.local</a>, Sat Aug 18 13:46:09 PDT 2001)
      </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->no active package3716500+153080=0x3b0e2c

    <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/INSTALL">matt@duel.local:/u1/kobj/INSTALL</a>
CPU: 603ev (Revision 201)
total memory = 65536 KB
avail memory = 55176 KB
using 844 buffers containing 3376 KB of memory
no active packagemainbus0 (root)
cpu0 at mainbus0: ohare L2 cache enabled
bandit0 at mainbus0
  :
mesh0 at obio0 offset 0x10000 irq 12: 50MHz, SCSI ID 7
scsibus0 at mesh0: 8 targets, 8 luns per target
  :
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 target 2 lun 0: &lt;IBM, DPES-31080, S31Q&gt; SCSI2 0/direct fixed
sd0: 1034 MB, 4903 cyl, 4 head, 108 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2118144 sectors
cd0 at scsibus0 target 3 lun 0: &lt;MATSHITA, CD-ROM CR-506, 8S05&gt; SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
md0: internal 2048K image area
boot device: cd0
root on md0a dumps on md0b
WARNING: clock gained 300 days -- CHECK AND RESET THE DATE!
root file system type: ffs
---

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Bus SCSI 0        N0 = 4 : HD QUANTUM FIREBALL ST4.3S
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
According to the description of the "Low End Mac" pages,

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/4400.shtml">http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/4400.shtml</a>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">Macs with IDE hard drive do not provide SCSI termination power,
depending on external SCSI devices to provide it.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/termination.shtml">http://www.lowendmac.com/tech/termination.shtml</a>
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">This is an important issue, because if you are using an external
drive that provides SCSI termination power on a Mac that doesn't
provide it, your Mac will hang if you turn off the hard drive
before turning off the computer. Also, the system may not boot
from the external drive if it is not powered before turning
on the Macintosh.
The source of the problem is a corrupted SCSI bus. Without
termination power, noise on the bus can prevent startup and
cause a lockup.
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
So I guess you have to check termination power setting
of the internal CD-ROM drive and external drivers on
the mesh scsi bus.

The page also says "However, Umax assures me this is not the case
with their Umax SuperMac C500 and C600." but I doubt it...
---
Izumi Tsutsui
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp">tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp</a>
  </pre>
Thanks for info.<br>
I have a scanner plugged on the scsi port. But i don't switch on. I'll try
with the scanner unplugged.<br>
Have U got the message SCSI RESETING? How long did it take to scan SCSI Bus?<br>
Cheers.<br>

--------------020306090508040006080600--