Subject: compatibility of new iBook
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Andrew Gould <andrewgould@yahoo.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/12/2002 15:18:40
I just purchased the new 700Mhz G3 iBook.  I'm
considering loading NetBSD.  (Darwin feels very
different from FreeBSD and NetBSD; and the
documentation is inadequate for newbies.)  I've been
scanning the archived messages for NetBSD, OpenBSD,
and the PPC ports for Linux (Yellow Dog, Debian,
SuSE).  I've noted challenges with the new software
modem, the firewire devices and sleep mode, and the
combo drive.  I have a few questions:

1. Does anyone know if there any problems with the new
video card? (The support site describes "Graphics
support" thusly ; "ATI Mobility Radeon graphics
accelerator with 16 MB of dedicated graphics memory
and AGP 2X support")

2.  I have Wasabi's package set for 1.5.2.  Should I
wait for NetBSD 1.6?

3.  If anyone has loaded NetBSD on one of these
computers, do you have any advice?

Thanks,

Andrew Gould