Subject: Re: ibook
To: Kamal Prasad <kamalpr@yahoo.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 06/11/2002 13:44:00
On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002, Kamal Prasad wrote:
>
> > yes-I wanted to use the ibook as the remote machine
> > running gdb. doubt if the embedded device serial port
> > o/p can be mapped to the usb port. (actually , I don't
> > know much about usb ports).
>
> Yes, it can. Get a USB-serial adapter, that's what they do. :-)

Just to make sure I understood you, you have an embedded device, and you
want to run gdb on your iBook to debug it. i.e. the iBook is running
NetBSD normally.

If that is the case, then a USB-serial adapter will help you. It should
show up as a ucom device, and thus should use ttyU0 or ttyU1.

If instead I misunderstood you, and you want to have gdb on another
computer debug your iBook's kernel, then the usb serial port won't help.

Take care,

Bill