Subject: Re: Rebooting a G4/350
To: Gavin Carothers <gcarothers@mac.com>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@gatwood.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/27/2002 14:42:26
On Mon, 27 May 2002, Gavin Carothers wrote:

> 6) both ofwboot.xcf and ofwboot.elf do not resemble all other Open Firmware
> boot files I have been able to find. Specifically before the ELF or XCONF
> all other boot files have chirp boot script.

I assume you mean xcoff.

> 7) there are changes made to the var's available to setenv in different
> Firmware versions. Example: Prior to the update a var named boot-args
> exsisteted after the update the the var is no longer there. This leads be to
> believe there have been changes to the way the ofw boot command works.

Red herring.  Empty variables probably don't show up.  boot-args is used
extensively when debugging Mac OS X.  Someone would be hurt very seriously
if they made it impossible to debug Mac OS X.  :-)

> Has anyone been able to locate any documentation detailing the nature of ELF
> files and the requirements of the newest Firmware updates to boot?

I'm thinking you should lean towards xcoff, but I could be wrong.

Later,
David

David A. Gatwood                                dgatwood@gatwood.net
Developer Docs Writer                             dgatwood@apple.com