Subject: Re: have to have HFS to install from the HDD?
To: electric-light-heads <imuzik@geocities.co.jp>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2002 23:30:41
At 7:07 PM +0900 5/20/02, electric-light-heads wrote:

:)Hi!
:)Am new to this world.

Hi!  Welcome.

:)and am @ iBook-Tangerine(Japanese machine)

OK.  So, it's an original iBook (not FireWire).  Language of the machine is
irrelevant.  The documentation, however, was written by a native English
speaker (i.e. me), so it may be confusing to non-native English speakers.
Please let me know how to correct it to make more sense.

Unfortunately, the 1.5.2 INSTALL notes are woefully out of date.  I had
been hoping the 1.5.3 notes would be available by now, as they describe
installation better.  If you are uncomfortable installing 1.5.3_RC2, you
should at least use the 1.5.3_RC2 install notes:
<ftp://ftp.jp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/macppc/snapshot/20020426-1.5.3_RC2/INST
ALL.html>

:)Am i misreading something written @ the installation guide?
:)It seems like the installer on my HDD tries to use all the disk
:)even though i have it partitioned into several parts..

That is true, if you use the "Install NetBSD" option in sysinst.  If you
use the "Re-install sets" option, it will use your current partitions, but
you will need to perform some steps by hand (such as installing the
bootloader and creating /dev).

:)i have hda9 and hda10 for macOS9
:)and have hda11 for yaboot bootstrap
:)and hda12 for swap
:)hda13 for Debian-Linux
:)hda14 for Gentoo-Linux
:)
:)now am planning to use hda14 for netBSD
:)
:)do i have to use pdisk and clear it as a HFS oriented one?

You will need to use pdisk to turn it into an A/UX Root partition.

:)if i do that
:)will the installer find this "another" space to install?

Only if it's A/UX Root.

Good luck,
  -- MW