Subject: Re: Help!? - Installing RAR 3.0
To: DMC <astra@cox.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/24/2002 11:13:39
On Thu, 23 May 2002, DMC wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I've just recently installed NetBSD 1.5.2 on my PPC 8500 (OFW 1.05) -
> I think those are all the specs...
>
> Anyway, I have no admin experience whatsoever but I have used UNIX
> for awhile.  Has anyone used a RAR 3.0 application in NetBSD?  I

Nope, but I did just look at their web site.

> downloaded a beta from Rarsoft (I think) that says it's for FreeBSD,
> but when I try to run it, it says something about not being configured
> for the platform or something (I'm sorry I didn't write it down).
>
> Are FreeBSD and NetBSD significantly different animals that I can't
> use the new Rar archiver?

First off, did you download source, or a pre-built binary. I'm going to
guess a binary, as that's what I saw on their web site.

You have two problems:

1) FreeBSD and NetBSD have (slightly) different user<->kernel interfaces.
Some syscalls have different numbers for instance. We have compatability
code, so that you can run FreeBSD programs on a NetBSD kernel, but you
will also need FreeBSD libraries. We have packages in pkgsrc that will
load them for you (well one pkg for freebsd).

2) FreeBSD's macppc port isn't as widely used as NetBSDs (which is less
than Linux :-) so chances are you have the i386 binary. That won't work on
a powerpc. :-|

Take care,

Bill