Subject: auto-boot? false and manual "boot" vs. auto-boot? true?
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/10/2002 00:09:24
Cool, I managed to
    use MacOS 9.x Drive Setup to setup HFS+, A/UX root, and A/UX swap
partitions (oddly the HFS+ partition has only a minimal install of MacOS
9.1, should be around 30meg but is sort of reported as 400 meg out of
500meg), copied ofwboot.xcf to the hfs+ partition
    newfs, mount, make fstab, "reinstall" instead of install
    setenv boot-command boot
    setenv boot-file..I forgot, but it amounts to hd:9,ofwboot.xcf hd:10

(wow this is much harder than installing on an x86 on an empty drive...)

(It was important that I use 1.5.2 instead of 1.5, for the keyboard to work
(I reported problems here recently, I may have said they were with 1.5.2 but
I was wrong, it was 1.5)).

but then..

setenv auto-boot? true
reset-all

it just hangs with a gray screen.

setenv auto-boot? false
reset-all
manually type just "boot"
it boots up fine to single usermode, I edited rc.conf, ran startx, X
started, good, success

but why doesn't auto-boot? true work? Is this the drive spinup problem? I
tried the two workarounds but couldn't get either to work. nvedit cleared
the line after each line was entered, ok, but when I tried nvrun it said
wboot was not a known word. It was always all lowercase wboot even though I
kept typing it in mixed case wBoot. And the one line delay thing didn't
work, though I did it with setenv boot-command instead of as it appears to
be described in the docs.

Any ideas? I can live with this for now.

 - Jay