Subject: Re: 1.5.3_RC2 swap question
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/06/2002 11:27:31
On Sat, 4 May 2002, Joseph Sarkes wrote:

> On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 11:01 PM, paul beard wrote:
>
> > does anyone else successfully use the default install's 32 Mb root
> > filesystem

Oh, we should raise that. That's really small.

> > size? I had a root size of 64 before I went to RC2 and never had a
> > problem.
>
> > When next I upgrade/install, I'll be relabelling that disk.
> >

> I just managed to install the -current snapshot onto my system and after
> a short
> period of time, the root filesystem was full, andI had not put anything
> there myself.

With that small a root, you really need seperate /usr, /var, and /tmp
partitions.

> Very weird. I just tried to build a new kernel, with all the results
> going to /usr. I also
> haven't found what is using the space yet.
>
> Anyways, the net result is that the default sysinst 32Mb of root
> filesystem seems
>   way too small.
>
> A second note, is that I did the sysinst install method, and it doesn't
> create an apple partition map, only a netbsd disklabel. OS X doesn't
> like this, and has
> no apparent way of not complaining about a "non initiallize or
> recognized" disk during
> startup. I don't recall sysinst being able tosee the preexisting
> partitions (including an
> earlier set of netbsd style "Apple_UNIX_SVR2 *" partitions that were
> working.

Oops. I thought we had the notes explaining that sysinst will do a FULL
WIPE of the disk, including any existing partitions.

> Does one have to do a manual system installation on macppc?

If you want to keep MacOS X happy, probably. MacOS 9 never complained with
how we did full-disk partitioning. Maybe now we need to change.

Take care,

Bill