Subject: Re: 1.5.3_RC2 swap question
To: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 05/04/2002 12:40:31
On Friday, May 3, 2002, at 11:01 PM, paul beard wrote:

> Bill Studenmund wrote:
>
>> Why would /tmp be using swap? If / is filling up because of stuff in
>> /tmp,
>> then you have no file system mounted at /tmp.
>
> does anyone else successfully use the default install's 32 Mb root
> filesystem

> size? I had a root size of 64 before I went to RC2 and never had a
> problem.

> When next I upgrade/install, I'll be relabelling that disk.

I just managed to install the -current snapshot onto my system and after
a short
period of time, the root filesystem was full, andI had not put anything
there myself.
Very weird. I just tried to build a new kernel, with all the results
going to /usr. I also
haven't found what is using the space yet.

Anyways, the net result is that the default sysinst 32Mb of root
filesystem seems
  way too small.

A second note, is that I did the sysinst install method, and it doesn't
create an apple partition map, only a netbsd disklabel. OS X doesn't
like this, and has
no apparent way of not complaining about a "non initiallize or
recognized" disk during
startup. I don't recall sysinst being able tosee the preexisting
partitions (including an
earlier set of netbsd style "Apple_UNIX_SVR2 *" partitions that were
working.

Does one have to do a manual system installation on macppc?

Joseph Sarkes
jsarkes@tiac.net