Subject: Re: firmware problem
To: None <,>
From: Henry B. Hotz <>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/30/2002 09:11:34
At 4:48 PM +0100 4/30/02, wrote:
>update... in my infinite wisdom I attempted to update the firmware
>for the powermac 8500  unfortunatly I am now unable to boot this mac
>and it just sits there doing nothing  ( no I lie, it turns the
>moniter off ) I have attempted to connect to it via the serial
>connection but with no luck, so is there a SIMPLE ! work around for
>this problem!! ie taking the battery out from the motherboard etc

Yes that simple workaround should work.  Just keep the battery out
for long enough.

The 8500 does not have eeprom firmware;  just a small nvram area that
would get cleared if the battery were out for long enough.

I presume by update the firmware you mean you ran SystemDisk?  That's
actually recommended, but I've had mixed results with it.  I *almost*
prefer copying the wboot and video patches in by hand with the editor
built into Open Firmware.  Almost, but not quite.
not those of Caltech, JPL, NASA, or the US Government., or