Subject: Re: Me Too, was: netbsd 1.5.3_RC2
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Michael Wolfson <michael@nosflow.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/29/2002 10:50:52
Well, I had a report from someone (I'm not sure who) who said that a
-current kernel worked with their PowerBook G4 (Gigabit Ethernet).  I have
had no reports of a PowerMacintosh G4 (Quicksilver 2002) ever working.

Before expressing too much dismay at something not working, please check
the model support page.  This page is updated based on user feedback (so it
can never be perfect).  However, if a model is listed as -current, it
almost certainly will not work with a 1.5 branch kernel.  If it's listed as
untested, then there's the probability of it not being smooth sailing.

Please keep your disappointment in check if you expect a new (by our
standards) model to work out of the box.  Our developers only have access
to equipment they purchase for themselves (out of pocket) or their
companies pay them to work on.

Of course, none of this helps you get your system working.  I do seem to
recall someone mentioning that we don't have support for the new G4 chip(s)
used in the Quicksilver 2002 models, as Motorola has recently tweaked them.
Please try a -current kernel, as those are significantly more advanced than
the 1.5.3 kernel which is regarded as stable, but lacking many newer
features/fixes.

  -- MW