Subject: Yet another boot problem.
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Konrad Rieck <kr@roqe.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/29/2002 22:12:16
Hi,

I am sorry to post another boot problem to this mailing list. I read through
the NetBSD macppc documentation and FAQ, and even took the obligatoric
coffee during installation. I also read several of the posts of this list
dealing with boot problems. But I didn't succeed.

Now I am asking you for advice.

I am struggeling with an Apple Powerbook G3 Series Wallstreet, OFW 2.0.1,
IDE hardisk, CD-ROM, no SCSI devices, no floppy.

I already installed NetBSD 1.5.2 by booting a kernel over an ethernet
connection, and enjoyed the boot process and installation. Yes, I was really
happy.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to boot the system from the harddisk after
installation. I used the entire harddisk for NetBSD that's why I have to use
the "partition zero" boot scheme.

OFW returns the following device tree:

    0 > dev / ls
    [...]
    /pci@80000000
      /mac-io@10
        [...]
        /ata0@20000
          /disk@0,0
        [...]
    [...]

And the NetBSD 1.5.2 kernel returned the following information during
installation:

    [...]
    wdc1 at obio0 offset 0x20000 irq 13: DMA transfer
    wd0 at wdc1 channel 0 drive 0: <BLA>
    [...]

Due to these information, I tried the following sequences to manually boot
the system from OFW:

   0 > setenv boot-file netbsd  ok
   0 > setenv boot-device /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0:0  ok
   0 > boot
       can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0:0

   0 > setenv boot-device /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0  ok
   0 > boot
       can't OPEN: /pci/mac-io/ata0/disk@0

   0 > setenv boot-device /pci/mac-io/ata0  ok
   0 > boot
       DEFAULT CATCH!, code FFFFFFF6 at   SRR0: FF80B074   SRR1: 0000B070

Does anyone have any idea, what the problem might be?

Frustrated, I re-injected the bootxx code in all available partitions.

   # /usr/mdec/installboot /boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rwd0a
   # /usr/mdec/installboot /boot /usr/mdec/bootxx /dev/rwd0c
   [...]

As you read above, the system doesn't have a floppy device, and I wasn't
able to put some OFW patches in the NVRAM. So if an OFW update could help,
how can I generate a bootable CD-ROM from the MacOS System Disk image? Or
even boot that image over ethernet? :)

With best regards and thanks in advance,
Konrad

--
Konrad Rieck <kr@roqe.org> -------------- http://www.inf.fu-berlin.de/~rieck
# Roqefellaz, http://www.roqe.org - PGP Key, http://www.roqe.org/keys/kr.pub