Subject: Re: netbsd 1.5.3_RC2
To: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/28/2002 15:17:12
On Sun, Apr 28, 2002 at 02:07:06PM -0400, Joseph Sarkes wrote:
> Well, I had no good result:(

Bummer.  So have you had any luck with any version of NetBSD on your
1GHz G4?  Has anyone else?  Have you tried the latest 1.5ZC snapshot,
too?

> I downloaded everything (what a waste of time, unless it is useable with
> a fixed kernel)

It should be usable with future kernels, but you'll probably want more
current binaries with a more current kernel.

> NetBSD 1.5.3_RC2 (INSTALL) #0 Fri Apr 26 19:53:28 PDT 2002
> 	briggs@cheetah:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/INSTALL
>
> CPU: Version ffff8001 (Revision 201)
> total memory = 512 MB
> avail memory = 484 MB
> using 1024 buffers containing 4096 KB of memory

Hmm...  Just after this output should be
	mainbus0 (root)
	cpu0 ...

There's a fair bit of code before those lines are output, but it
should be pretty straight-forward stuff.  I suspect that there's
something that we're just not handling properly on the new systems.
I wish I had one to poke at here.

> I can run NetBSD i386 under VirtualPC with moderate useability, but it
> is really a kludge.

Ouch.  Yeah.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...