Subject: netbsd 1.5.3_RC2
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org, briggs@netbsd.org>
From: Joseph Sarkes <jsarkes@tiac.net>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/28/2002 14:07:06
Well, I had no good result:(

I downloaded everything (what a waste of time, unless it is useable with
a fixed kernel) and put it
onto a cd. Then I booted the machine with "boot cd:,openfwboot.xcf
netbsd.ram.gz"

The boot happened and the machine froze at the underscore below. The
stuff at the bottom
of the screen has been there on all my attempts to get netbsd onto my
mac.

In large graphic font centered in the middle of the display:

console keyboard type: USB
Copyright ...

NetBSD 1.5.3_RC2 (INSTALL) #0 Fri Apr 26 19:53:28 PDT 2002
	briggs@cheetah:/usr/src/sys/arch/macppc/compile/INSTALL

CPU: Version ffff8001 (Revision 201)
total memory = 512 MB
avail memory = 484 MB
using 1024 buffers containing 4096 KB of memory

In small ofw font at the bottom of the display as a single line  (Note,
this line is partially
trashed and merged into the graphic larger type on previous attempts.) :

method <`usb-kbd-ihandle> not found;  ihandle=ffbc4b80 phandle=ff932530
method
<`adb-kbd-ihandle> not found;  ihandle=ffbc4b80 phandle=ff932530 _

I hope this helps to get NetBSD working on my macppc as my only success
so far was
a liitle while with a single kernel that would work, and I forgot how
tomake it work after
accidentally overwriting it. All other attempts have failed similar to
the above, perhaps
in different places in the boot process.

I can run NetBSD i386 under VirtualPC with moderate useability, but it
is really a kludge.

The system is a dual 1GHz G4 with 512MB and apple cinema display. If
this system is
not yet supported, please take the above info as a datapoint for
development, as my
earlier attempts were with -current.

Joseph Sarkes
jsarkes@tiac.net