Subject: Re: g4 cube auto-boot doesn't
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Cusack <fcusack@fcusack.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/2002 19:15:26
I've played with the OF settings a bit more and now I have a g4 brick. :~(

I setup an nvramrc with 'install-console' as the script.  Now, it has
the same boot behavior (netbsd SEEMS to be booting but doesn't finish and
the screen is active but blank).  But now none of the "snag keys" work.
Well, 'c' doesn't boot from cdrom, cmd-opt-O-F doesn't go into OF,
cmd-opt-P-R doesn't clear the NVRAM (apparently), and holding the mouse
button down does not eject the cdrom.

It seems that using the nvramrc inhibits the snag keys.  I wonder if
someone is brave enough to verify this?  You could install some "empty"
nvramrc, say 'setenv diag-switch? false' or 'banner', and set auto-boot?
to true (and use-nvramrc? to true, of course) and see if you can get into
OF.  I would do this myself if I had another OF mac.

I have taken the cube apart and reassembled it several times.  I tried
to disconnect the hard drive so it wouldn't be able to boot but then it
just hangs, I tried various hard drive/cd combinations and nothing works
except the original config (FSVO "work").  At least it was interesting
to disassemble it.  Luckily the cdrom DOES have an eject button but you
have to take it apart to get to it.

entering OF (for OF 3).  Might be worth adding to the FAQ.

/fc