Subject: Re: bug in install kernel?? no DNS resolution
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/2002 14:42:38
I wrote:

> This is where I get to this time: as you can see, I started up from the
> boot floppy for 1.5ZC, and that path won't work. Every time I try to
> edit it, the install process hangs. I have reboot to open firmware (bear
> in mind I have to do this on console, since video doesn't work).
>
>  The following is the ftp site, directory, user, and password currently
> ready to use.  If "user" is "ftp", then the password is not needed.
>
>  host:           ftp.netbsd.org
>  directory:      pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.5ZC/macppc/binary/sets
>  user:           ftp
>
> Why isn''t the snapshot directory the default location on a snapshot
> install?

well, this time I managed to avoid a reboot: after quite some
time, I was able to successfully edit the path and get the install
underway. But then I got hung up on not being able to get the
xbase.tgz package and was then unable to continue. I couldn't
unmount the filesystems. Another reboot, another trip through
disklabeling, etc. If this current attempt fails, I'll stick with
1.5.2 until 1.5.3 is released. This time I edited the path before
any attempts were made to download files: so far so good, unless
the xbase.tgz file is requested again.

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

Screw up your courage!  You've screwed up everything else.