Subject: Re: Which Mac
To: CMS <cms01@tampabay.rr.com>
From: John Klos <john@sixgirls.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/27/2002 12:00:45
Hello,

> I am looking into setup a Mac with NetBSD,
> which Mac is the best for the job,
> or which Mac, has the least problems install NetBSD.
>
> The end results would be webserver, ftp server.. the usually stuff.
> for servering... only.

Well, most people approach this from the other direction, like "I have Mac
models A, B, and C", and / or "I have SCSI drives and a SCSI tape drive",
and then see which models would be best.

My experience is that older PowerMacs (7300 to 9600, Motorola StarMax)
install pretty easily. When I tried NetBSD on a blue & white G3, I had to
have a separate boot disk because I couldn't boot directly off of the UFS
NetBSD hard disk. This situation could easily be changes with a
CompactFlash to IDE adapter, but it's something to think about.

What do you have available? Is memory available? Are your drives IDE or
SCSI? Are you going to be running huge, dynamic web sites, or mostly
static content?

John Klos
Sixgirls Computing Labs