Subject: Re: bug in install kernel?? no DNS resolution
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/25/2002 09:03:16
Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> In article <3CC71780.9040306@mac.com>

> Binaries on ramdisk in old snapshots before March do not support
> DNS resolving. Newer snapshot should support it.

my 1.5.2 install image doesn't resolve either: I remember it well,
since I ended going thru the install a few times :-(

>>The error is not exactly obvious (though it should have been to
>>me): I get errors on ftp -a not being able to pull down the sets,
>>and it looks more like a missing file or path error than a failure
>>to connect.
>

> Not all snapshot has X sets. In such case, you can't specify them.

I don't understand this: perhaps I misstated something. The ftp
command failed to pull down *anything.* That is, until I fixed the
host value to be an address, rather than a name.

Since I have found that I am not the only one that has been bitten
by this (and it's no big deal if you have some way to resolve the
address, either before you begin or while you're doing it), is it
a PR-able offense? If it didn't work in 1.5.2, how sure are we
that it will work in future snapshots or releases?

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System.  If this had
been an
actual emergency, do you really think we'd stick around to tell you?"