Subject: bug in install kernel?? no DNS resolution
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/24/2002 13:37:20
Well, I just accidentally blew away my netBSD 1.5.2 install and am
now installing the ZC snapshot (I was trying to upgrade to it when
this happened).

I should have realized I was seeing the same problem as I saw on
my initial install(s): DNS resolution just doesn't happen in the
install kernel. I can ping just fine, so the network is up and I
have a route out to ftp.netbsd.org. I just can't use the hostname:
changing the host to the numeric address works fine.

I was trying to upgrade in sysinst and accidentally ended up in
install: from there, it was one or two fat-fingers to wipe out the
root disk and have to re-install.

The error is not exactly obvious (though it should have been to
me): I get errors on ftp -a not being able to pull down the sets,
and it looks more like a missing file or path error than a failure
to connect.

Has no one else noticed this?

I am running the very first OF machine, the PMac 9500, OF version
1.0.5. The interface device is mc0.

On a side note, I found the install to be simpler than documented:
all I really needed to do was install the INSTALL kernel at the
root of /, and specify it as my boot-file in OF. no messing with
the the other files or prolonged exposure to OF.

--
Paul Beard
8040 27th Ave NE

"Gee, Toto, I don't think we are in Kansas anymore."