Subject: Re: A challenge for the list
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2002 12:24:45
>> That doesn't sound plausible to me.  When the queues back up, log
>> messages usually get dropped, rather than blocking the application.
> Yes, kernel messages get dropped, but if syslogd makes a write(2) to
> /dev/console, is it smart enough to time this out and or fail
> gracefully if the console is "stuck"?

syslogd may hang.  But that's no reason for (say) telnetd to hang, or
fail to start.  Even if telnetd is trying to log something, it's just
doing a send() to an AF_LOCAL socket (/dev/log).  Even processes that
specify LOG_CONS shouldn't hang until the /dev/log buffer fills up, and
I'm not sure about even then.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign