Subject: Re: A challenge for the list
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/19/2002 09:27:35
On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 07:58:34AM -0500, Donald Lee wrote:
> Also, after my reboot at 6 this morning, the machine stopped responding at
> 7:05 AM.  I could still ping the machine, and network connections could be
> started (as in telnet would yield the "connected to...") but no login
> prompt.   The web server gave the same.  Connections established, but no
> data could be passed.

This, and your symptoms from yesterday, sounds like a disk hang.  I.e.,
the system can operate as long as it doesn't need to hit the disk.

I'm not sure how this could be caused by the serial driver.  Your
console is on the serial port?  Hmmm...  It would be nice to be able
to see what the system thinks it's doing, but without the console...
Restarting the ZTerm session doesn't help at all, does it?

Now, assuming it's a disk(or disk driver) problem (perhaps triggered
by a serial event somehow?)...  Have you double-checked your
termination?  Which system do you have, and what adapters drive your
disks?

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD development for Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SuperH, XScale, etc...