Subject: A challenge for the list
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/18/2002 22:01:44
I have a problem with my server.

I'm running NetBSD 1.5.2 on a PowerCenter 132 with a 300 Mhz G3 upgrade
card in it.

At 11:30 AM yesterday morning, the syslog (/var/log/messages) stopped
adding data to the file.  I find that I cannot "su" on the machine to
even see some of the other logs, like authlog or xferlog.

When I do an "su", it hangs after I enter the password.  It apparently
accepts the password, because if I give it an incorrect one, it says
"Sorry".

The console does not work (no response on serial port - serial console)

I think I need to reboot the machine to get control back and see what's going
on, but I can't even get to root to do the shutdown/reboot.

Any ideas on how to get a console so I can at least reboot it cleanly?

-dgl-