Subject: Re: ABOUT - fork: Cannot allocate memory
To: Aaron Mildenstein <buh@mildenstein.net>
From: Andrea Cocito <acocito@lar.ieo.it>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/11/2002 20:54:58
Hallo,

I have been testing quite a bit with large-memory systems here
(NetBSD/macppc), these turned out to be th facts:

a) The memory space addressable by NetBSD (RAM + VM) seems to be
   31 bit (or 32 bit signed, at your wish), that means that if
   you tough the magic limit of 2GB (total) you end up with the
   kernel thinking it has 0 bytes.

b) I have not seen yet a NetBSD/macpps system working with 1.5 GB
   of address space (however you compose it, with RAM and/or swap)
   and it just does not work.

c) You can have a machine run with 1GB but the number of problems
   (it boots on one machine, same disk ported to another G4 model
   with the same RAM configuration will panic at boot) and random
   crashes, never had the time to investigate with these deeply.

As of now I don't run any machine with more than 768 MB of address
space.... not with NetBSD at least.

It is quite a sin, since nowadays having gigabytes of physical memory
is absolutely reasonable and the limit imposed by 32bit platforms
begin to be quite severe, to further lower them...

Maybe some serious check on the VM system has to take place ?
Happy to contribute if I can (in the minimum case with tests...
ask me to test anything on any Apple hardware and I can grab it).

Regards,

Andrea

--
Andrea Cocito
Director of the Bioinformatics Research Unit