Subject: PB2400 XFree86 16bpp
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/10/2002 16:35:38
Hi,

I've recently installed NetBSD on a 2400c/180 Powerbook. I used the binary
snapshot from December of 2001.

It appears from the faq's out there that Xmacppc is only capable of 8bpp for
the display on that machine.

This means that I must get XFree86 installed. The binary version of Xfree
4.2 on the NetBSD site is for powermacs with PCI cards. The 2400 has a Chips
And Technologies 65550 chipset for the video. The machine can do 16bpp by
design.

When trying to compile the XFree86 4.2 sources I got some compile failures
and the thing just didn't work at all. Unfortunately I've lost the failure
messages, but I still have the installation logs with the errors on them.
The compile failures all had to do with "compile.h", I believe (would have
to look it up if anyone is interested.)

The Xfree site says that the "chips" driver would work with the 65550 card
but I've heard that there would be a little/big endian problem there.

What are my chances of getting this working?
Where should I start?

Please help if you can. Thanks,

Louis