Subject: Re: boot a CD? (was: macppc-1.5ZC snapshot)
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2002 14:56:50
On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 02:11 PM, Henry B. Hotz wrote:

> At 10:24 AM -0600 4/5/02, Donald Lee wrote:
>> (SCSI disk) that will boot.  It also strikes me as a pretty low-cost
>> project to get it to work.  Partition maps should be the same between
>> 68K and MacPPC, and the file system code should be exactly the same.
>> If you run it in emulation (rather than compiling for PPC) the install
>> tools *should* "just run".
>
> They do, and I did, once.  Of course that didn't solve my problem that
> you need some special magic in the partition map to boot directly from
> OF.  I got a nice installation on a disk that would boot MacOS, but I
> still couldn't boot the NetBSD installation.
>
> Also said Mac tools only work with SCSI, which means only OF 1 machines
> which are the most "boot challanged" in some ways.  They are also the
> ones which have the least trouble with a boot floppy, so as Todd said
> the benefit doesn't seem large.

The MkLinux pdisk utility that I modified for NetBSD use can be used on
either mac68k or macppc.  It may not put all the other partition magic
in that is required for OF though.

> Oh, yes, the Mac installer doesn't do the latest version of FFS.

Neither does Mkfs since it uses the same I/O routines as the Installer.

Sysinstall is a much better path for both ports.

-bob