Subject: Re: boot a CD? (was: macppc-1.5ZC snapshot)
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@murphy.dyndns.org>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2002 14:03:31
On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 08:50 AM, Todd Vierling wrote:

> It involves putting a CHRP script into the HFS partition containing
> automated boot info.  I have some of the info on doing this, and will be
> getting a macppc at some time in the near future to test it out.

There's a PR that contains a sample CHRP script for doing something
similar to this already.  I found it by accident doing a Google search.

> : As it is now, it is *required* to boot a kernel to do an install, and
> it
> : would be nice to do be able to do the install from MacOS in some
> cases.
>
> The official trend is toward only using the sysinst method of
> installation,
> not away from it.  When partition editing works properly on mac68k, the
> "Installer" for mac68k will be considered obsolete and not included with
> future releases.

I keep hearing that partition editing doesn't work but I can't duplicate
the problem.  The first version of the code did have problems in this
area, but the version that's in the three now should have fixed those.
The only remaining problem I had was getting the Disk Partition Map
re-read after sysinstall modified it.  I submitted a kernel patch that
fixed that for me but the general feeling was we needed an improved
IOCTL interface which would handle this in an MI fashion.  However some
time last year Scott pulled up the kernel patch so sysinstall on the
mac68k port should work without requiring a second system boot operation
to re-read the Disk Map.

-bob