Subject: boot a CD? (was: macppc-1.5ZC snapshot)
To: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
From: Bruce O'Neel <bruce.oneel@obs.unige.ch>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2002 16:21:56
Hi,

The Wasabi Systems cds (www.wasabisystems.com) are bootable on x86 PC,
Alpha, DECstation, SPARC, Power Macintosh, and VAX platforms.   I
remember having to type some open firmware command to get them to
boot.

To make them bootable with the 'c' key I *think* that you have to have
something resembling a MacOS file system with a system folder on them,
though maybe not on newer systems than can boot the OSX CDs.

I think that you put a system folder, and a System and Finder file in
said System Folder and it works.  The Linux folks have this working
but I remember going around in circles to get the right macos types on
files so that yaboot would in fact load and boot.

cheers

bruce

--
Of course it runs NetBSD

Bruce O'Neel                       phone:  +41 22 950 91 57
INTEGRAL Science Data Centre               +41 22 950 91 00 (switchb.)
Chemin d'Ecogia 16                 fax:    +41 22 950 91 35
CH-1290 VERSOIX                    e-mail: Bruce.Oneel@obs.unige.ch
Switzerland                        WWW:    http://isdc.unige.ch/