Subject: boot a CD? (was: macppc-1.5ZC snapshot)
To: None <port-macppc@netbsd.org>
From: Donald Lee <donlee_ppc@icompute.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/05/2002 08:11:07
>Emiel Kollof wrote:
>>[snip]
>> Oh.. can't most macs boot from CD-ROM, btw? Maybe we should look in
>> getting the NetBSD install cd bootable by holding 'c' during the boing?
>

>All of the iMacs, G3s (blue and white) and G4s can boot to CD and do not
>have built in floppy drives.  Ironically, the most feasible method of
>using a floppy with these is via USB floppy drive.
>
>Blair Stilwell

Hold that thought!

Would it be cool, or what, if we could boot from CD with the 'c' key??

Do we know enough about how Apple does this to build a bootable CD?
(NetBSD, or course)

Along those lines, (and I know this has been discussed ad nauseum) it
should be pretty easy to port the 68K install tools to PPC.  Is there any
good reason these tools could not be used to install NetBSD installations?
I know the booter would not work, but the install tools should be pretty
close to a clean port.

As it is now, it is *required* to boot a kernel to do an install, and it
would be nice to do be able to do the install from MacOS in some cases.

??

-dgl-