Subject: Re: Optimisations break software?
To: John Klos <jklos@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/03/2002 16:49:55
On Wed, 3 Apr 2002, John Klos wrote:

: All is working fine, and I started compiling a handful of packages and
: such with typical optimisations in /etc/mk.conf:
: COPTS+=-O3
: CFLAGS+=-mcpu=604e -mtune=604e

FYI, *don't* modify CFLAGS in mk.conf.  That's what COPTS is for -- all
optimizations belong in that.  Other Makefile logic will occasionally break
if CFLAGS is modified in mk.conf....

: Then I did a make build without COPTS+=-O3, and the system is fine.

-O3 is known not to work on many platforms; in fact, it's only regularly
tested in gcc on i386 and sparc (and rarely at that).  If this works with
-O2, then as far as we're concerned "it works" at the moment.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/