Subject: Re: need help with boot problem
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@mac.com>
List: port-macppc
Date: 04/01/2002 04:09:32
At 10:08 AM -0500 3/31/02, Mason Loring Bliss wrote:
>Leaping off onto an even more random tangent, I've found that if I build
>a kernel that's larger than GENERIC (e.g., GENERIC plus NETATALK) on my
>Sparc, it will fail to boot with an error which I forget right now, but
>if I build a smaller kernel, it will load. If no other solution presents
>itself to you, you might consider trying to build a smaller kernel to
>see if there's anything to that possibility... I haven't tried building
>a large kernel on my macppc yet. I'll try that today to see if I can
>reproduce what you're seeing that way.

Wow, that sounds a lot like a problem that the mac68k port had about
4-5 years ago. I forget the particulars, but I think that it was
related to Mike Zucca's intvid stuff of that era. There was a glitch
that would be fixed by just changing the size of a kernel, regardless
of what config change affected that change.

Mike
--
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.